Monday, April 18, 2011

Taking A Chance

I am afraid of spiders. I probably shouldn't put that out there because I bet it could lead to many cruel pranks, but what is life if you don't take chances? For instance, I take a chance every morning when I slip my feet into my fuzzy pink slippers.



That may not seem like a chance, but for me it's a big one. While I love fuzzy slippers, I never know what may be lurking in them. Like, perhaps, SPIDERS? POISONOUS SPIDERS?! BLACK WIDOWS?!!!!! I never know what I may encounter when I slid my foot in there and pad off to the bathroom. It doesn't help that I know black widows are native to Utah and that they like to live in dark places. It also doesn't help that I saw the true story on t.v. of a boy who was bitten by a black widow in his shoe and almost died if not for his father who went to Mexico and smuggled in an illegal anti-venom that may or may not save his son.

Surely I should just shake out my slippers before I put them on. But wait! What if the spider clings to the inside of the slipper and doesn't come out? Or what if it does come out, but I am doing this in the dark so as not to wake my husband, and it lands on me and bites me? And then there is the more philosophical question of whether or not I should let fear run my life. Should I really waste my life by spending time beating my clothing every morning? I don't think so. So I choose to take a chance and every morning, for a split second, I brace for the worst as I slip my feet into my slippers.......

No comments:

Post a Comment