Monday, April 4, 2011

The Language, 'Tis Ruined

Forgive me if I have been unmotivated to blog lately. I would blame it on being sick, but I promised I wouldn't write about that, so I have no excuses.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people use the English language incorrectly. You know, grammar errors, spelling errors, or just sounding stupid in general. No one is perfect, but I feel like if you go to the effort of saying something or writing something, you should take some measures to make sure it is right. For example, I read through each post I contribute to my blog several times before I post it. I may not catch every error, but at least I try. I feel like most people don't even try anymore. They are lazy and sloppy with their language. Slang is becoming the norm rather than the exception. What are we doing to our beautiful language?

I read a lot of classics, and I am often amazed by how much English has changed in the last 100 years. Yes, some things are better. But when a hear a person say something like - "Anyways, I like really like them shirts. Like it makes me so fustrated that I can't buy it" - it makes me cringe. I spelled "frustrated" wrong on purpose because that is one word that more and more people are saying wrong, and it drives me crazy! When I hear someone say "fustrated" I want to scream, "It's not 'fustrated' it's 'frustrated' you moron!" Even if I did scream that out loud, it would probably be in vain. Not many people care enough to improve their language.

Why do we have grammar and spelling rules if we don't use them? I once heard that we have grammar and spelling so we can understand each other. Without them my blog would look like this -

oxiceow ojsjosow diouw si qoi apocoel? la/sdlk eupqoaoxi ...aljcial *glip* tokenako alioe!

Would you like that? I didn't think so. Next time someone says something to me with incorrect grammar or pronunciation, maybe I should just look really confused and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment