Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Limitless Pallet

Today is grocery shopping day. As a child I loved grocery shopping with my mom, because when you're a kid you don't worry about the cost of groceries. Grocery shopping was simply a chance to beg your parents to buy every bit of junk food that they would never think of buying normally. It was a chance to get out of the house and be amazed by all the pretty shiny products on the store shelves.

These days grocery shopping is not quite the same. While I still enjoy buying food, I have to put a lot more thought into price and nutrition. I am not one of those people who has the want or the means to buy all the food I want just to have half of it go bad before I eat it. It takes more work than I ever realized to plan meals and snacks two weeks out. How do I know what will sound good to eat in two weeks? If I buy something that never sounds good within its shelf life, then I have wasted that money. I can't afford to do that.

So maybe some of you out there are saying, "If the food is about to go bad, eat it whether you are in the mood for it or not, and then it won't go to waste." I could do that.........Actually, no, I can't. I have to be in the mood to eat something, otherwise it is close to torture to eat it. Is that being too picky? I don't think so considering I have heard of people who will eat nothing but French fries EVERY DAY. However, grocery shopping would be a whole lot easier if all I ate was French fries. Load up the cart with 20 bags of French fries and I am out the door in two minutes flat. Oh to have a limited pallet! Darn my wide-ranging tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment