Friday, March 25, 2011

Kid At Heart

I guess positive thinking really does work because I haven't gotten sick yet! I have been in close proximity to a fare amount of coughing, so either my immune system finally decided to do something or all that hand washing is paying off. Either way I couldn't be happier. Let's just hope it lasts. The weather has been kind of, well, SNOWY for Spring time. I hope that doesn't mean more sickness to go around.

So I was thinking about when I was a kid and I thought adults knew it all. I don't mean that I thought adults were perfect and never made mistakes or that they knew the answer to every single question I could ever think of.......but almost. I thought when you became an adult you would always know what to do or how to figure it out if you didn't know something. NOT TRUE. No adult that I have met is even close to having everything figured out. They do usually know a lot more than kids, but the longer I live the more adults I come across that are just like big kids. They still get scared like kids. They still want to have everything they want given to them. They still want someone to take care of them. They don't always know how to deal with bills, or stress, or problems.

The only real difference between adults and children is adults are held responsible much more than kids are. If a kid breaks a window on a neighbor's house, who gets held responsible? The parents. The parents may hold the child responsible by making the child earn money to pay for it. But what happens if the child won't pay for it? The parents have to, or else they might get sued or go to jail. I'm not saying we need to make kids more responsible. Obviously they have less life skills and general knowledge to be able to deal with situations. What I think we should do is go a little easier on adults. No matter how mature, or brave, or strong, or capable, or knowledgeable an adult is, I believe there is always a child inside of all of them who is sometimes unsure and scared. I think it would benefit everyone to treat adults with more compassion instead of saying something like,"You should have known better because you're an adult." We all need to be loved and forgiven and accepted and encouraged no matter how old we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment