Thursday, May 20, 2010

I Don't Remember

I know my posts have been sparse lately, but so have ideas of things to write about. I don't want to write about just any boring old thing. I have standards damnit! This hobby is sure difficult.

I think one thing that makes being an adult harder than being a kid is that the older you get the more you have to remember. When you are a kid all you have to remember are basics like family birthdays, your address and phone number, and when your school assignments are due. When you become an adult, things get far more complicated. For starters, more kids are born into your family, so you have all those birthdays to remember. Then there is your anniversary and the anniversaries of any siblings. Then this is where it gets difficult -

What bills to pay
When bills are due
When to change the oil in your car
When to mow the lawn
When to do the laundry
When to run the dishwasher
When to register your car
When your friend's birthdays are
When to buy ink for the printer
When to get a dentist check-up
When to get a doctor check-up
What your social security number is
What your address is
What your locker combination at work is
What your phone number is
When to do taxes
When to get health insurance

I could go on forever. Of course for those of you who are less uptight about having things right, the list is much shorter -

What to do right now

I envy people with that list. While I am constantly amazed at the capacity of the human brain, there are many days where I feel like I have reached my limit. I JUST DON'T WANT TO REMEMBER ANOTHER SINGLE THING! That is why I am a big believer in simplicity. Sometimes you have to remember to forget some things.

No comments:

Post a Comment