Saturday, April 24, 2010

For the Love of Reading

I sometimes wonder why God made me love reading so much, yet I am quite possibly the world's slowest reader. That is like saying, "You will have the ability to fly, but you will have to land every five feet." You just don't get the full enjoyment out of it. Mike likes to tease me that I have been reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy for over a year, but that is TOTALLY NOT TRUE. That book is almost 1000 pages of teeny tiny font. I have to take a few month-long breaks here and there, which really just perpetuates the problem of being a slow reader.

Come to think of it, it may not be entirely God's fault that I am a slow reader. You see, I have these small perfectionist tendencies such as making sure I do not miss ANY information while reading. My brain seems to think that the world will come to a horrible and fiery end if I miss a single detail of what I am reading. I now blame the school system for making me a slow reader because of the many hours spent reading things that I would have to remember for tests. Damn you education.

Our love of reading is something Mike and I have in common, but it almost doesn't matter because we have such completely different tastes in books. He likes to read what he refers to as "fluff", a.k.a. science fiction and fantasy. I, on the other hand, prefer to read the classics or anything that will enlighten me about life, but will also try books like Harry Potter just for fun. It has been decided that I don't read much "fluff" because I lack a strong imagination. But I disagree. I can easily imagine myself reading a sci-fi book and not liking it at all.

This post would not be complete without wishing Mike's son, Daylen, a happy birthday. He is 18-years-old today. Old enough to join the military, but not yet old enough to drink alcohol. That would be too dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment