Sunday, March 7, 2010

Shock and Awe

My brother and sister-in-law, David and Stephanie, where kind enough to take my husband and I too our first professional sporting event last night. We went to a basketball game between the Jazz and the Clippers. For anyone who knows me, sports are certainly not my cup of tea. I probably have the coordination and skill of a walrus. However, I have to admit that I enjoyed myself at the game. Even my 3-year-old nephew, Holden, who probably had very little idea what was going on, enjoyed the game simply because it gave him free reign to scream as much as he wanted. Screaming is his specialty after all. I liked watching the game and even the screaming part. The problem I have with professional sporting events is the hype. Now I don't mind a little hype here and there, but this hype is the "We're going to Disneyland.....everyday....for the rest of our lives!" kind of hype. While at the game I kept imagining what would happen if someone from the past time-traveled to that exact location and time. I concluded that the person would probably think everyone in the future had gone insane and then drop dead from a heart attack at the shock of all the screaming, flashing lights, jumbo t.v.s, streamers, dancers, music, and, oh yeah, those little tiny basketball players. At least the players looked tiny from where we were sitting, and they almost seemed like the most insignificant part of the whole event. I will probably go to another game sometime because, well, who doesn't love screaming freely and free stuff being flung in your general direction?

On a more serious note, my husband and I got the shock of our lives when we returned home from the the game. We found a check in the mail for a sum of money that may not be considered large to some people, but was very large to us. It turns out that Mike's aunt, who he loved dearly, had remembered him in her will. We feel blessed and grateful for the money, but also deeply saddened at the sudden passing of this wonderful woman. I never had the privilege of meeting her myself, but I can tell how special she was just from what my husband has told me about her and from the cards she sent to us. The money seems insignificant when you consider matters of life and death. You will be missed Aunt Ghislaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment