Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Las Vegas Vs. The Cabin

My husband and I are planning a trip to Las Vegas in June because once you become a member of the working class, you need a vacation every so often just to keep your sanity. We went to Las Vegas for our honeymoon and we usually choose it as our vacation destination because it is close, affordable, and has free alcohol. Believe me when I say that if I could afford it I would be traveling all over the world, but for now Las Vegas is the closest we get to a foreign country. This year we are going to fly to Las Vegas as opposed to driving, which is how we traveled last time. This has several benefits such as - 1. I won't feel like I am slowly killing my car in the hot desert sun. 2. I won't have to navigate the insane TWELVE LANE ROAD which is "The Strip". 3. Flying just makes you feel high class and important even if you are in couch.

Honestly, I don't know how we will wait until June for this trip. Mike has already found about a hundred activities on the internet that we can do in Vegas. By the time June comes he will have thousands and we will spend all our time in Vegas deciding what thing to do next. I am usually the one who has to have things all planned out, but when it comes to vacation I am more content to just go with the flow. I mean, Las Vegas has so many things to do and so many things to see, I would be content to just walk around for days and stare at things. That is, if the walking is done inside. Have you ever been to Vegas in the summer....OUTSIDE?! I don't know how people survive there. During our honeymoon, Mike and I foolishly stepped outside during daylight hours for a few short minutes. In those few short minutes I experienced what it must be like to WALK ON THE SUN. Needless to say, I would prefer to stay inside on our next trip to Vegas so as to keep my flesh intact.

I am hoping that this year's Vegas trip goes better that last year's camping trip in Colorado. I should have known better than to take Mike camping because within a few hours of being away from electronics he begins to go through withdrawals. But I thought I could get him to like it because of all the many happy times I have had at the family cabin in Colorado. I was wrong....dead wrong. Ok, that was a little dramatic, but I added it for spice. Anyway, our first mistake was going by ourselves. I love spending time with my husband, but camping really requires a group of people to interact with or else it is called "being alone in nature". Our second mistake was not taking my dad. I never realized after all those years of going to the cabin with my family, that my dad is the one who took care of everything. Yeah, he may tell endless stories about things that happened there and relatives that lived there, but he ALWAYS COOKED BREAKFAST. I cannot even describe how valuable that is at the cabin. You will never know until you have spent a sleepless night there because it is cold, and you don't have enough blankets, and you are sick, and your dog who is sleeping with you because it is so cold gets something in her ear and keeps shaking her head all night, and your husband is afraid of being in the middle of nowhere and won't let you light the gas lantern for fear that we will all die of toxic fumes. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH YOU NEED A HOT COOKED BREAKFAST WAITING FOR YOU AFTER ALL THAT. Now I will never get Mike to go back to the cabin unless I trick him and tell him we are going to Las Vegas.

1 comment:

  1. LOL not fair... I was not afraid of the gas light , and we are going to Vegas right not Colorado?

    ReplyDelete