Monday, March 15, 2010

Cooking 101

The other night I made the most amazing chocolate bread pudding! It is Paula Dean's recipe and I think she is my favorite chef because she believes in using as much fat and sugar as humanly possible. I know I said in a previous post that I am not much of a chocolate person, but with this recipe it really doesn't matter because of all of the other flavors, and did I mention the FAT AND SUGAR? I'm sure I gain about five pounds every time I eat a piece of this dessert, but I really can't help myself. It calls to me.....

I developed my love of cooking, or more precisely baking, at a young age. I'm not sure what my parents were thinking, but it seems like me and my brothers were always in the kitchen, unsupervised, concocting our own recipes and wasting food in general. I remember one particular experiment that turned out horribly wrong - the Cheese Whiz and jelly sandwich. To this day I will not eat Cheese Whiz, which is not a great loss if you think about it. I'm not sure if they even still make Cheese Whiz. Anyway, my brothers and I developed some pretty bizarre tastes from all this cooking. I have one brother who loved drinking un-jelled jell-o and sucking on pickles until there was not a drop of juice left. (I realize that last statement sounds very dirty, but it is not my fault your mind is in the gutter.) Another brother of mine picks the most difficult recipes in the world to attempt, such as making root beer, WITHOUT ROOT BEER EXTRACT. My third brother lives off beer and steak, but mostly beer. As for me, I have an unhealthy love of vinegar. Still, I am glad I was able to experiment as a child because now I can make things that are actually edible. Also, it seems like so many people now are growing up eating fast food or boxed kits such as Hamburger Helper, that they wouldn't be able to cook to save there lives. This is just a tragedy to me because there is nothing like a home-cooked meal, yet that art of cooking is being lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment