Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Waste Not, Want Not

I came across this saying today - 'Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.' I think that is a good saying to live by. People these days really don't seem to appreciate what they have. They throw something away as soon as it gets a little old or worn and buy a new one. I know it's easy to buy new things all the time, but why waste what you have? Why spend the money just to get something newer and better looking?

I have a toaster that my dad wanted to get rid of a few years ago because it doesn't toast very dark. Well guess what? Years later it is still going strong and toasts just fine for me. So maybe I have to put food in it twice to get it dark enough. So what? Does that mean I should spend $50 plus on a new one? I think not.

I also have a pair of jeans that are probably more patches than original fabric at this point. Clothes are my weakness, so I do buy more of them than I need, but I still try my best to make them last. If something gets a hole in it I don't automatically throw it away like some people would. I sew the hole and continue wearing it until there are more holes than I can keep up with.

Once in a while I give in to the shiny new things, but overall I think it is wise to try to make things last. I have clothes from high school, pencils and pens from elementary school, furniture from when I was a kid, a washer and dryer that are probably from the stone age, and lots of other things that are still usable if not perfect. I try to get the most use out of everything I have because I am thankful for what I have. It is careless and thoughtless of people to be wasteful and take what they have for granted. I am reminded of another saying just now - 'Waste not, want not.' I have been lucky enough to have never wanted for anything, but maybe it is not so much having what I need as it is appreciating what I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment