Friday, June 3, 2011

Are You Listening?

I figure I will blog this morning since my superhero husband will be fixing up our computer tonight and tomorrow. Can I just say how proud I am of him? He works so hard and I don't think I tell him enough how much I appreciate him. You are awesome honey!

I have been thinking about how seldom people listen when someone is speaking. You may think, "I always listen to others!" But before you say that, really think about it. So many people think they are listening when really they aren't or they pretend to listen when their mind is somewhere else. This is especially true with children. Adults seem to think that just because they are children they don't have something important to say. I couldn't tell you how many times I have herd a child repeating the same thing over and over until someone will respond. Why should it take so much effort to be heard? Maybe if parents listened to their children more they would be better behaved and happier.

Not being heard is not only a problem for children. Have you ever told someone something only to have them ask the same thing a short while later because they weren't listening? It is frustrating when you feel like your words are not important enough to be heard. You can really make a person's day just by letting them know you are listening. You don't have to try to fix the speaker's problem or even say much at all. Just let them know that you care by giving your complete attention. Release judgments about what you are hearing. Isn't listening a simple step to take to make the world a better place?

No comments:

Post a Comment