Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Perils Of Lawn Care

I can't say that I have much to write about at the moment. Maybe that's because I have been loving the nice weather and wanting to be outside more than on the computer, blogging. But with that nice weather comes yard work. I actually don't mind yard work since I worked in the yard from a young age with my dad. But since I rent my place, it's hard to feel super excited about making it beautiful. When I own something I will go to great lengths to take care of it. When I borrow something, I will respect it, but I won't go all-out on fixing it up. That's how it is with my lawn. I will water it and mow it and even weed it a little, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time or money making it 'home & garden magazine' good. If I owned it you better believe my neighbors would be jealous of how good it looked.

The lawn mower that I use certainly doesn't make it easy to have a beautiful lawn. It's a loner from the landlord, and when I say loner I mean 'piece of junk no one else would ever want'. It's a bitch to start and even when you do get it started it sounds like it might fall to pieces at any second. I'm pretty sure most of the controls don't work. I just try to adjust them so that it makes the least amount of concerning noises. There is also no grass-catcher, so you either get covered in cut grass shooting out the back, or the thing gets clogged and you have to stop and help it give birth to a large grass clump. Not that it would matter even if I had a good mower. For some reason my lawn is insanely bumpy. When I mow it I feel like I am on a ride that is way too rough and not at all fun.

Weed-whacking is no easy task either. Not that I have a weed-whacker, but I borrowed my brother's once just to see if it could help the lawn look slightly better. (It couldn't.) But the thing with weed-whacking is that you have to be Hercules to start it up. In other words, you have to hold it straight out in the air with ONE HAND while you yank the cord with your other hand. Those things may look light, but my left hand will confirm that it's like trying to hold a microwave with one hand while pushing all kinds of buttons with the other hand. NOT POSSIBLE. Needless to say, I didn't take to weed-whacking. I guess if I ever get my own yard I'll have to find something like a child-size weed-whacker.

No comments:

Post a Comment