Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cool As A Cucumber

OK, so I have been slacking a little in the blog department, but I have a reason! Well, I don't really, but I'm not going to stress about it. Mike and I watched a National Geographic show about "Killer Stress" and after seeing that I realized how important it is to stay stress-free. There was a scientist on the show who studied the affects of stress on baboons, and he found that stress can cause weight gain around your middle, narrowing arteries, and memory problems. I already knew stress is bad for your health, but geez, that show really reminded me to chill out more. Unless it is a life or death situation, stress is not necessary. It causes more harm than good if you experience it too often.

When I was a kid, I was a bit of a perfectionist, so I would stress about getting my homework perfect or having things organized in a certain way. As an adult, I try to be less "perfect", but you when you grow up you also get a whole bunch of new things to stress about, such as - getting a job, keeping a job, car repairs, bills, health issues, caring for loved ones. You know the list. I don't have to tell you how stressed out people are, but I can give a little advice on what to do about stress.

One thing the show suggested for stress is to get together in some sort of social group where you can vent your frustrations. Also, meditation and relaxation are key to keeping stress away. People who feel important and validated are less stressed too. This usually comes from a job, but never fear if you have a bad job. You can also feel important in other ways like being a coach, or teaching a class, or taking care of animals, or doing anything that makes you feel happy and needed.

When it comes to bills, war, tragedies, and all the bad shit in the world, try not to dwell on it too long. Remind yourself that if you can't do anything about it, there is no need to stress. Let go and trust that things will work out how they are meant to be. Remember, stress is damaging in the long term, so it is important to make your happiness a priority rather than letting the stress overcome you.

No comments:

Post a Comment