Friday, June 24, 2011

Taking The Heat

It is now officially hot enough to use air conditioning. That doesn't mean 'Oh I feel a little warm, I think I would like a little breeze.' That means 'OH MY GOD! I am going to die if I don't get some cold air right this instant!' Of course you never think it will be that way. Somehow I always forget the true strength of summer heat. It's kind of like how you forget pain. You don't seem to remember the pain of that sickness or injury until it happens again and then you think 'Oh yeah! Now I remember how hellish this is!' I don't think women would ever have more than one child if they remembered the pain of childbirth.

I think being too hot is close to, if not the same as pain. You get too hot and you're dizzy, you can't focus, you can't think, you feel sick to your stomach. All you want to do is get cool. I am actually a little frightened by those walk-in ovens they have in bakeries. What could be worse than getting stuck in one of those and heated to death? Nothing.

So now that I have established how horrible heat can be, let me tell you how the air conditioning in my car is BROKEN. It's not even completely broken. It is just broken enough to tease you with a few minutes of fabulously cold air and then smack you in the face with disgusting hot air. Thanks air conditioner. Thanks for giving me hope that you might work and then ripping it away within minutes.

The part of me that forgets pain thinks that I don't need air conditioning. That part of me says, "Just roll down the windows and everything will be fine! People have lived for thousands of years without air conditioning, so you should have no problem doing it!" But when I am actually driving in the car and it is over 90 degrees outside, all the memories come flooding back and my body tells me, "How did people ever survive this?! I'm never going to make it home! Having the windows down does nothing! COLD AIR, I NEED AIR!" So much for taking the heat. I hate to admit that surviving without air conditioning is HARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment