Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gay Pride

As the title suggests, I went to Gay Pride for the first time last Sunday. I went with my sister-in-law, Kristin, and my niece Ezzie. Ezzie is only 1, so she slept most of the time. Kristin and I wanted to go to support friends and family and promote love for everyone no matter what your sexual orientation.

I was in my element because I love places where everyone is excepted and not judged. If only the world was more like that. As for the booths, there weren't many I was interested in except for the food ones, and all those had lines about a mile long. Let me tell you, that place was packed! I guess when a repressed state like Utah has an event where you can feel free to be yourself, everyone and their mother shows up. People there were definitely not afraid to express themselves. I saw everything from people in their underwear, to a person in a shiny black bodysuit and platform shoes about a foot high, to someone in a dress made entirely out of cotton balls. There were also tons of kids and dogs there which was unexpected because I figured Gay Pride would be more adult oriented. But it was really family-friendly. There was face-painting, live music, bingo, pet adoptions and even a girl giving out free hugs. It was all like any other festival except for the all the same-sex couples walking around and the interesting outfits.

Here are a few pictures. I didn't take too many because I didn't know if people would get upset if I took their picture and I didn't want to go around asking to take pictures the whole time. The last picture was Kristin's idea. I wasn't about to get my picture taken with these guys because it just seems strange getting your picture taken with strangers in feathers. But just as I was about to take the picture of Kristin, a girl came up to me and asked if I wanted to get in the picture and she would take it for us. I couldn't say no, so here I am looking awkward and hot. Did I mention how HOT it was? It was HOT, and not even over 90 degrees. God help us when the real hot weather comes.




No comments:

Post a Comment