Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Plumber Freedom

A couple of weeks ago our toilet flooded for the SECOND TIME since we have lived here. I'm sure it makes Mike and I look bad like we are flushing some crazy stuff down the toilet, but I swear to you we do not abuse that toilet in any way. It just likes to overflow once in a while so that we have to give it attention. Toilets are needy.

Let me tell you just how fun it was when I discovered the latest wrath of the toilet. I had just woken up at an ungodly hour to get ready for work and as a shuffled in a sleepy stupor into the bathroom, I made it halfway to the toilet before I noticed something wasn't right. Then I felt the cold wetness creeping into my slippers and an equally cold realization crept into my head.....the toilet had flooded during the night. Surprisingly, I didn't freak out because the only good thing about having your toilet flood is having a landlord to pass the problem off to. I woke up Mike and he called the landlord and by noon we had a plumber over. He said roots were blocking the pipes, possibly from the neighbor's tree or left over from the trees we used to have in our yard. He could unclog the drain, but the clog would likely return if ALL THE PIPES where not replaced. So much for a simple fix. I don't know if the landlord will ever have the THOUSANDS of dollars it would take to replace the pipes, but until then I was instructed - no Charmin toilet paper and no flushing tampons. I don't care about Charmin, but being a women, I am slightly annoyed with the tampon thing. Oh well. I guess it's the least I can do to be free from having to pay a plumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment