Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Do Good, Feel Good

I like quotes. Not really sure why. Maybe because other people can express ideals that I can never seem to put into words. So when I find a quote I like it is because the quote expresses exactly how I feel. I just couldn't ever put it into words myself. The latest quote that I have found is this one -

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion."
— Abraham Lincoln

I love the simplicity of it. No fancy "100 rules to live by" or long-winded philosophies or complicated rituals. Just do what makes you feel good. Of course this doesn't work for everyone. Different things make different people happy, and what makes a person happy might not be "good". But I think it is a good starting point.

I am not a particularly religious person and I hate how so many conflicts and wars occur over religion or differences in general. Why can't people just "do good" and "feel good"? Don't make life so serious and complicated. I feel like my religion is to do good and feel good. I don't try to force anyone to believe a certain way, and I hope people will be kind enough to do the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment