Monday, February 21, 2011

Head For The Hills

The weather has been steadily getting warmer during the last few weeks, which makes me want to break out the hiking gear. Then yesterday happened. About a foot of snow decided to make an appearance, and Mike and I spent the day shoveling rather than hiking. Maybe it's for the best because even though I think I like hiking, I usually start to hate it once I start. It is always either too hot or too cold and I always start to sweat, which never makes me happy. I get tired, hungry, and thirsty, yet I never seem to bring enough snacks or water and once you start a hike, well, there is no way you are getting back to the car unless you move your own two legs. While hiking, I quickly turn into a two-year-old with no sense of of the past or future. There is only my current misery and my need to pout about it even though I put myself in that very situation.

There are things I do like about hiking, so let me explain what those things are so everyone does not shun me as a hiking partner. I LOVE the beauty in nature. I have seen things in nature that take my breath away. I can't say that so much for any man-made structure. Sure, a structure can be massive, and awesome, and even beautiful, but it never really compares to something like a sunset or a giant, ancient tree, or a mountain range.

Another thing I like about hiking is the exercise. I don't like exercise in general, but if I can do it in the wilderness, it almost makes it tolerable. I like that there is usually a goal to get to when hiking - a waterfall, a meadow, a lake, the top of a mountain, or a campsite. It makes me want to get to end, so see what is there. I am always curious what might be around the next corner, so I want to keep going in spite of my two-year-old mentality. Come to think of it, hiking is not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment