Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gymnastics For The Athletically-Challenged

I have been doing yoga here and there to try to keep in shape. I like to do it at home because even though I think yoga can be beautiful, it's not so beautiful when I do it. I have never been the most coordinated, athletic person. Yeah, I played the usual sports growing up: soccer and softball. But I as the years went by I never improved much. (I can't say that I practiced much either.) After a particularly mortifying incident in gym class where I couldn't hit a softball to save my life, I decided sports could go shove it.

If I had any athletic ability, I would have been a gymnast. As a kid I would watch gymnastics on t.v. and long for the skills to do what those gymnasts did. Sometimes I would even try out some of the moves. (Usually with unfavorable results.) Now that I am an adult with poor athletic skills, the closest I can come to my gymnast dream is yoga. Yoga is like gymnastics for the athletically-challenged. It has some difficult and beautiful poses, but it is slow enough that if you don't get it the first time you can just keep trying. In gymnastics, if you you don't get it right you could possibly kill yourself. So I am sticking with yoga until such a time as I am willing to risk my life or at least my dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment