Monday, February 14, 2011

Captain's Log: Year One

Happy Valentine's Day! So today is Valentine's Day and also about one year since I started this blog. I can't believe the time has gone so fast, but I have also enjoyed writing a blog immensely. What I do not enjoy is waking up today feeling slightly sick. You know the feeling. Not sick enough to declare to the world, "I am sick!", yet not well enough to feel like you could tackle the world.....or even yoga. Yep, yoga was skipped today because of my icky feeling. I don't know how some people manage to exercise even when they are full-blown sick. For me, it is difficult enough to get myself to do it when I am feeling well.

I have noticed an unusual amount of people this year have decided it is funny to say "Happy VD!" for Valentine's Day. I will admit I chuckled the fist time I heard it, but it got old really fast. It's not funny anymore unless:

A. You are a 13-year-old boy or
B. You live in a isolated town and you just got the internet for the first time today.

Unless those two situations apply to you, please keep your VD to yourself.

Valentine's Day seems to be one of the more disliked holidays. People dislike it because they don't have a significant other or because they feel it is a pointless holiday created by companies. For me, neither of these things matters when it comes to whether or not I enjoy Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day to me is a day to remember those you love, whether they be family, friends, or spouse. It is a day to cherish what you have. It doesn't matter how it started or how commercial it may have become. YOU make it what you want it to be. If you think it is too commercial, then don't buy anything for the occasion. Just spend time with the ones you love and tell them how much they mean to you. Our time in this life is not unlimited, and I, for one, would rather spend it next to someone I love than worrying if I get flowers or chocolates.

No comments:

Post a Comment