Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Parties Of Old

My birthday is coming up this month and it is hard to believe I have been on this planet almost 29 years. That may seem really young still to many people, but when I think of how many people die young, it makes me grateful to be alive. The one thing I don't like about getting older is the way birthdays become less of a big deal. I'm not the type of person who likes all the attention on me, but it's nice to have one day out of the year where you feel extra special and you get excited for any surprises that might happen.

When I was a kid, my birthday was almost like Christmas to me. Not because I got tons of amazing presents, but because the planning and anticipation of a party were almost as great as the actual day. It helped that my birthday is near Halloween, so I always had an automatic party theme. I'm not sure if my love of Halloween came from having my birthday around that time or the other way around. But, my birthday parties always included things like bobbing for apples, pumpkin decorating, and a cake that usually looked like a jack-o-lantern. I always made my own cake, which people think is weird, but I love baking and decorating, so it was all part of the fun for me. So maybe my excitement for my birthday all came down to my love of decorating, cooking, and planning. Come to think of it, I did those things even for my brother's birthdays.

As I get older, the kinds of parties I liked to plan don't really fly anymore. Decorations, games, and treat bags are more for kid's parties. Adults just go to the bar or out to dinner (which is great also, don't get me wrong). I just sometimes miss the kid parties. All the more reason for me to get some kids of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment