Tuesday, May 3, 2011

There Is Hope

It's another blah sort of day outside which is kind of depressing, but I'm not giving up hope that someday warm weather will arrive. No matter how bad things get, I'm the sort of person who always has hope that things will get better. You could call it blind trust or wishing for the impossible, but I think hope is more than that. Hope gives you a reason to live. Hope can be uplifting and empowering. Hope can not be taken away. So why not have hope? Even if things don't turn out how you hoped, just that act of hoping still makes the journey more bearable.

I was playing that game called Mahjong the other day, and it made me think of hope. For those of you who aren't familiar, Mahjong is an old Chinese game where you find matching tiles. If tiles are blocked, you can't match them. You have to match all the tiles to win, but you loose if all the matching tiles are blocked. Anyway, I used to give up on this game when I saw a tile that had no match. I would think that I would never get to the match. But the more I played, the more I realized that if you just keep playing, the match usually turns up. In other words, I learned to not give up hope at the first sign of distress. It took a game to teach me this because, unlike life, games are easy to start over and over again. I didn't often give up hope at the first obstacle, but now I have learned to hold on to hope even longer. You never know what solutions or help may come your way and you may just do what you thought was impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment