Monday, May 16, 2011

Close To Home

Many people I have met feel like they want to move away from where they grew up the second they are old enough to be on their own. I might be in in minority, because I have never felt that way. It may come from the years of moving around when my dad was in the Air Force, but I would just as soon stay rooted in a place close to family rather than moving here or there. I also seem to get attached to places more than other people. I still remember my address from where I lived when I was 9-years-old and I still miss the lemon tree that was in the backyard there. Sometimes I will miss things about the places I have lived like the baseball fields that where by my house, or flying kites in the field behind the high school, or my bedroom that had the huge closet, or the room above the garage with the stairs that pulled down. Its like I leave a tiny piece of me wherever I live and I'm afraid if I move too much I won't have any pieces left.

I like staying in one spot because I become familiar with the area, the people, the schools, and the businesses. I like Utah specifically because I love the mountains and the people seem kind and friendly in general. Also, being the shy girl that I am, staying in one place makes it easier to have friends because once you move where you know no one, you have to start all over with the friend-making and social connections.

Many people move for the excitement of a new place, but I think that's what traveling is for. As much as I love to travel, it always feels good to come HOME to where I feel most comfortable. Some people also move for work or school. I can understand moving for those reasons, but it would take a really amazing opportunity to take me away from my family and the place I know. I know it is hard for some people to understand why I like staying in one place. What can I say? Maybe I have gotten too comfortable or I am too resistant to change. Whatever it is, it keeps me rooted where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment