Monday, December 6, 2010

Putting Myself Back Together

It has been a week since my last post, and I am only just beginning to feel somewhat normal again. When I get sick, I get SICK, as in weeks and weeks of recovery time. Being sick has made me appreciate my health more than ever. Of course I always know I could get sick at any time, but I tend to forget just how miserable life can be when an intense illness takes over. I have a deep and sober respect for all those people out there who live with chronic diseases and pain every day of their lives. I hope with every ounce of my being that I am never one of those people, because I'm pretty sure I couldn't take it. I think life is to be enjoyed, and if you can't enjoy it, it is hard to keep on living.

One residual effect of being sick is that I have the urge to wash my hands every five seconds and sanitize everything in sight. The only thing that keeps me from doing this is the knowledge that extreme hand washing and cleaning only makes you more vulnerable to bacteria. I also avoid other sick people like the plague. Just the thought of getting sick again makes me nearly hysteric. But there is one good thing about my whole ordeal. I had my husband by my side, day and night, watching over and caring for me. If I have to fall apart, it is good to know I have someone there to pick up the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment