Saturday, December 11, 2010

Unpredicted Chaos

I woke up today expecting a very restful day off of work, since working at 4:00am most days has not been kind to my body. Sleeping in was about as far as I got for rest. A short time after getting up I was brushing my teeth when I noticed the toilet bubbling like a witches' cauldron. I thought that was quite odd, but I figured it was just your standard clogged toilet. So I did what any germ-fearing woman would do.....I called for my husband. He came into the bathroom and immediately flushed the toilet, which angered it greatly. It began flooding all over the bathroom floor. Out of sheer panic, we poured some Liquid Plumber into it and began plunging furiously, but that only intensified the mess and the anger raging from the toilet. Finally, we relented and called our landlord who immediately sent a plumber.....who arrived about an hour later. During all this, our neighbor who lives in our duplex called us to tell us that her bathtub wasn't draining. As we found out later, tree roots had likely infiltrated our pipes and taken them over as we slept, unsuspecting. THIS WAS WAR! Good thing we had a plumber on our side who was very suited for the job since he seemed to have no aversion to things of a gross nature. NO FEAR OF GERMS! NO FEAR OF TRACKING TOILET WATER THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE! Those were his battle cries because, although he was a very good plumber, he had no thought of the carnage left in his wake. Hiring him was like using a power hose to clean a spot off your kitchen floor - Messy, yet effective. After hours of work, the plumber was finally done, and we were left with a hazardous bathroom and very little of a restful day off. So much for rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment