Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Why So Serious?

I have always felt a little unconventional when it comes to following the "rules" of society. I would much rather live my life doing what I want to do rather than only doing what is socially acceptable. I feel I am lucky to live in a time and place where being "different" doesn't always mean "bad". A hundred years ago, and even sometimes still today, people were tortured and killed for not conforming to the rules of society. If you had a baby out of wedlock or had homosexual feelings, you were in big trouble. Thankfully, things have changed for the better, and hopefully they will continue to get even better.

I am not about to start any revolutions, but I like to be quirky and unconventional in little ways. That may mean doing a silly dance, or laying under the Christmas tree to look at the lights, or piercing my nose, or dying my hair, or reading a book that some people don't approve of. Basically, I don't want to take life too seriously. Of course there are times were being serious is appropriate. But, I don't want to miss out on living life because I was too worried about being appropriate. So many people seem to be so uptight about work, money, and relationships, that they forget to enjoy life. Sometimes you just have to stop worrying about what people will think and live the way that makes you happy. Maybe I only have this attitude because I am still young, but I hope it is an attitude I can keep my entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment