Sunday, December 26, 2010

Whisperings

I am late again on posting, but being sick sort of makes you not want to do ANYTHING. Yes I used the s-i-c-k word only because I am running out of patience and options. I might as well admit I am sick. Now please avert your eyes and plug your ears while I cry like at little baby.........OK, I'm done. *sniff, sniff*

Christmas was nice this year even if it did seem to come way too fast because of my many sicknesses. But that is the thing I love about Christmas - You always have next year to try again. The only sad thing is the taking down of decorations and the long wait through a dreary winter. This winter has been unusually snow-less, but dreary all the same. At least if it snowed I could go sledding.

One thing that has been bugging me recently that has nothing to do with Christmas (or maybe it does because Christmas seems to put a lot of people on edge) is people who are nasty and rude. I know I have written about this before, but I think the subject always deserves a revisit now and then. It drives me crazy when people are inconsiderate to others. This is not coming from a saint who has never made the same mistake, but from someone who knows how it feels to be treated badly. One little trick I use when people make me feel bad is to imagine something embarrassing or slightly painful happening to that person. It may be counter-productive, but at least I am not acting out on my frustrations. There is a quote that I like that describes what I mean -

"There is something powerful in the whispering of obscenities, about those in power. There's something delightful about it, something naughty, secretive, forbidden, thrilling. It's like a spell, of sorts. It deflates them, reduces them to the common denominator where they can be dealt with."
Margaret Atwood

See? I am only deflating the mean people in my mind so that I can calmly sit here now and give a lesson on treating others nicely. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment