Monday, September 20, 2010

Wait

Every year I anxiously await the local Greek food festival. There is now less than a week until it arrives and I am practically salivating in anticipation. I don't think it is even so much about the food as it is about the tradition and the anticipation. If I ate Greek food every day of my life, you could bet I wouldn't be going to the festival. But as it stands, that two-day festival is the only time and place I can get some of my favorite Greek foods without traveling far and wide. The waiting for it and thinking about it makes it so much more enjoyable when I actually get it. In my opinion, American society is WAYYYYYYY too addicted to instant gratification. I am a strong believer that there is something to be said for waiting. Waiting often makes you realize how much you do (or don't) really want something. It helps you savor life. If you are always jumping from one thing to the next, it makes it very difficult to really appreciate or enjoy anything. Also, when people don't wait they tend to do things that they later regret because they didn't stop to think about it. So next time you want to jump into something, maybe just wait and think a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment