Wednesday, September 8, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

As much as I like to travel, I have always been the sort of person who needs a place I can call home. As a kid, my family moved quite a bit because my dad was in the military, and while I loved all the places I experienced, I always felt happiest when my family was together at home. I have lived in Utah now for about 18 years, so I guess it is safe to say it is my home. I love Utah for it's beautiful places and family-friendly atmosphere. But I dislike it for all the restrictions on things like alcohol and strip clubs and the general intolerance of different people like gays. (Just if you're wondering, I think you can still have a family-friendly environment without such strict limits on alcohol and strip clubs.)

Sometimes I dream about moving away, but I know I would miss my family like crazy. When my brother moved away to for four years to go to college, it was really hard to deal with, even though he visited frequently. Now that all of my brothers are grown and married, it is a little easier because they all have their own lives and families. But family and home will always be important to me. I like to be in a place where I know the roads and where certain businesses are. I like having my family be just a phone call away. What else could you really ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment