Monday, September 13, 2010

Room With A View

Ever since I can remember I have loved having a window in my house with a view. I am not one of those dark basement dwellers. I need light and something interesting to look at. Give me a good window and a comfortable spot in front of it and I can stay there for hours. Granted, I also like having a book or some sort of project to work on in front of the window, but the view itself can be quite entertaining.

The first good view I remember was from my room when I was about 9 or 10 years old. I had a room on the second story facing the back of the house, so I could see the backyard and far into the neighborhood. When my family moved from that house to Utah, I remember hoping so much for another room on the second story. It didn't really work out that way since my next room was in the basement. That room had two windows, but they looked out into window wells full of spiders and all kinds of creatures that you don't want to see. Subsequently, I spent a lot of time in the living room, where I could look out onto the street and see what was going on.

My last apartment had the best view out of the entire complex because it was on the second floor and right in the middle of everything. I miss it terribly now that I am in my current place. Now, my front room has those tall skinny windows from the 70's, and half of them are frosted. Even when you do crawl behind the couch and peek out, you only see the boring cul de sac that we live on. That doesn't stop Bear from finding things to bark at, however. I think she barked less as our last apartment simply because she could see more. For now I will live with my bad view, but the next place that I live better be making up for my suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment