Monday, August 30, 2010

Camping

As I said in my last blog, Mike and I went camping last weekend. It actually turned out to be really fun after Mike got over his initial reaction of "I'm never going camping again!" Granted, he said this shortly after we arrived at the campground.....in the dark......in the rain......without a coat.......without a tent. I may have had similar thoughts for a few moments. Fortunately, our friend showed up right about then with our tent. Then his truck promptly broke down, blocking the campground entrance. At least we had a tent. So Mike spent most of that night helping our friend out by driving on treacherous roads, in the dark, dodging cows, so that they could find a place to buy fluids that might fix the truck. Didn't work.

But really, after that first night I swear it was fun. Maybe not so much for our friend, Gil, who borrowed a tent that unfortunately looked like this -



I can't help but laugh every time I look at that. Later on, Gil borrowed a much better tent from our friend with the truck.



Of course, me and Mike's tent was the best. We were very cozy in there on our new air mattress, and we didn't mind the rain at all.



Bear enjoyed the trip almost too much. I don't think she sat still for more than 3 seconds aside from the time she was hunting squirrels. Apparently, squirrels rule the campground we stayed at, and they were very upset we were on their land. They had no fear of us or Bear and regularly came within feet to taunt us and throw pine cones. It took all that Bear had just to keep from chomping one of those little guys in half.




Even though it rained 90 percent of the time and we had to make several trips into town to get cell phone reception to make arraignments to get the truck towed, the whole trip was worth it for the stunning scenery.






Mike has already vowed to go back with everyone he knows and to make that campground our regular camping spot. I didn't disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment