Friday, August 6, 2010

Anything But Boring

So whatever happened to board games? Does anyone remember? Things change so fast now that something that happened 10 years ago seems like a lifetime ago. Being a member of the nerdy family that I was, we played board games regularly. Especially on family night, which was Monday night. I remember learning so much from board games and loving them even when, more often than not, a fight broke out because someone was cheating and the dice ended up being thrown across the room and lost.

My family had a whole closet devoted to board games, and to be the picker of the game was to be god. Even at my grandma's house there was a game closet, and as a child I remember being fascinated by all the old games. In current times you rarely hear anyone say, " Yeah, I can't go to the movies tonight because I am going to play board games with my family." People just aren't interested anymore. They would rather play video games or watch movies. Even a lot of board games now are becoming electronic. It has to light up, or talk to you in a weird voice, or shuffle the cards automatically, or require batteries. Never can you have something as simple as A DICE AND A BOARD. The would be boring. Except....somehow....I remember being anything but bored when I played board games.

No comments:

Post a Comment