Monday, August 9, 2010

It's Curtains For You

Yesterday I suddenly decided that I wanted curtains for the living room. Well, maybe I didn't suddenly decide. There are many things I would love to do to improve my poor little duplex. But, being a renter, I really wish to save my money to put into a house of my own. Curtains are something I can take with me when I leave this place. Also, the vertical blinds that were there before were testing Bear's patience. Every time the wind blew through the window, the blinds would hit each other making a clicking noise. Bear is so afraid of this noise, or perhaps wind in general, that she will hide as far away from the blinds as possible. So I basically put up curtains to give Bear some peace of mind.

Buying the curtains and the rod was the easy part. Putting them up was something else entirely. You would think putting up curtains would take maybe five minutes. Well, that's not the case when you have no tools and you have to borrow a drill from your dad. Then your dad gives you a 20 minute lecture on how to install a curtain rod, complete with pictures. Never mind that you already know how to install a curtain rod. Oh how I long for my own tools! Right now my tool collection consists of a free screw driver from Wal-mart that had an unnatural odor about it when I got it, a pair of pliers, a tiny tape measure that only goes up to 60 inches, and a hammer that I have borrowed from my dad indefinitely. (Shhhhh! Don't tell him I have it.) Such a pathetic collection of tools. Anyway, it probably took me over an hour to finally get the curtains up. It was then that I discovered they were too long. *sigh* Luckily, the curtains came with some iron-on adhesive to shorten the curtains. So I spent another hour measuring and ironing. *double sigh*

The positive side to all of this is the final result. I couldn't be more happy with how they look. Yes they are plain and white, but I love them for their simplicity. They soften the room and keep out just enough sunlight. The very best part is, when the wind blows, there is nothing but sweet, sweet silence.


No comments:

Post a Comment