Saturday, August 14, 2010

Going The Way Of The Dinosaur

I really thought I wouldn't have time to write today with it being my second wedding anniversary and all. But my brain decided it would be fun to wake up at 7AM, so here I am waiting for Mike to wake up.

When I was younger I never thought I would live to see things become obsolete, but I was wrong in a big way. Things become obsolete so fast now you can barely get them home from the store before they become obsolete. Think your cell phone is the greatest thing ever? Not five minutes from now. There will be something newer and better by then. When I was a kid we didn't even have cell phones. GASP! I know. I figured I would never utter the phrase "When I was a kid...." or at least not until I was much older. But seriously, when I was a kid, I loved going to the video rental store to rent a VHS movie. Don't forget to rewind it when it's over! There are still a few video rental stores, but they a quickly going the way of the dinosaur. Now you can order a movie online and watch it without ever stepping foot outside your house or handling any sort of DVD or VHS. I admit that is pretty amazing, but it also cuts out a lot of contact with the outside world. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be shut up in my house my whole life. I want to see the world first hand, not in a travel show.

Another thing I remember as a kid is cassette tapes. CDs came around when I was still a kid, but I remember thinking, "CDs will never replace cassette tapes. We will just have both now." It didn't quite work out that way. Now, CDs are almost old fashioned. You can download music directly to your I-pod without ever seeing a CD. Excuse me for sometimes wanting to deal in more concrete terms. Everything is floating around on the internet, but where does it come from? What is it exactly? For example, is my bank account just and "idea" since I rarely see the cash? Yet ideas can get you in big trouble like, if you overdraw from your bank account. You may have never seen the cash, but now you owe an overdraft fee. Music and movies are the same way. They don't just come out of thin air. People make them using a lot of time and effort. I think many people that buy movies on the internet have no respect for how much work it took to make that movie because it is so easy to get. Movies are a dime a dozen now and are treated as such.

Anyway, I know when I am ranting, so I will just stop right now. Hopefully there will be many fun, concrete anniversary experiences today!

No comments:

Post a Comment