Monday, July 26, 2010

Unnecessarily Complicated

Once again I come to you from my humble abode to complain about the ways of the world. Today's topic: paperwork. I will be one of the first to admit that paperwork is a necessary evil, HOWEVER, I also think it has gotten somewhat out of control in recent years. For example, a few days ago I had to get a name changed on the title to my car. Seems simple enough? Think again. I had to make several trips between my credit union, where I have my auto loan, and the DMV before I accomplished my task. The problem? NO ONE seemed to understand the paperwork. Not the guy at the credit union, not the lady at the DMV, not me. Point #1: if most people of average intelligence can't understand the paperwork, it has gone too far. Point #2: If everyone involved is jumping through hoops for no apparent reason to finish the paperwork, it has gone too far.

I have also noticed how manuals for electronics, such as cell phones, have grown from a small pamphlet to a five-volume encyclopedia. Maybe this is because electronics have become more complicated, but think about it. Does anyone really read that entire manual? NO! Do they even look up how to perform certain functions on their phones? NO! If they can't figure out something on their phone most people call the customer support or look it up on the internet. All those manuals are just wasted trees. Point #3: Any paperwork that is longer than ten pages is likely to never be read and could and SHOULD be simplified for the sake of EVERYONE.

So there is my rant. It started off as 27 pages long, but I condensed and simplified it to only include the most vital points just for you. Don't you feel special?

No comments:

Post a Comment