Friday, July 23, 2010

Fascinated By Paper

Today I got some scrapbook stickers! I know the use of an exclamation mark is not usual here, but it feels right for me. Even when I was a young child I remember going to craft stores and just being in awe. Not much has changed. I still find tiny and glittery things irresistible. I could browse the sticker isle for hours and I am fascinated by paper. Yes paper. Don't blame me. I have no idea how I got this way.

When I was a kid I would collect things that I liked. Some of these things included pencils with little designs on them, erasers in the different shapes like sunglasses, tiny toys like bouncy balls and slinkys, and stickers. I think stickers were my very first collection. Mind you, I didn't do anything with these collections except periodically take them out and look through them with loving affection. The one time I took a collection out of the house was when I brought my pencil collection to school for show-and-tell. The whole collection, except for one, promptly got stolen out of my desk during recess. Thus ended any sharing of any of my collections.

These days I try to keep my collecting in check by only keeping things that have sentimental value or that will have some future use. Every once in a while I will get the urge to go through everything and weed out stuff to donate or throw away. In this way I avoid being on the the show "Hoarding: Buried Alive".

No comments:

Post a Comment