Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Arms Of Steal, Ears Of Tissue

Tonight I am looking forward to another free swim day at the local pool. Our community has had these free swim days throughout the summer for residents of the city, and me and Mike LOVE going. It's not so much that either one of us are very graceful in the pool. It's just that the weather has been so ungodly hot that we are willing to risk public ridicule to get into those cool waters. Being unflattering in a bathing suit is not my only problem in the water. I don't know if it's just that I am not as spry as I used to be in the water, but it seems to find every way possible to irritate my senses. It burns my eyes, it goes up my nose, and it gets stuck in my ears. That last one has actually always been a problem for me. Punch me in the arm and I might cry for a few minutes, but get water stuck in my ears and I will cry for days until I can get it out. I can't think of a single more frustrating and irritating thing, and if you have no idea what I am talking about right now count yourself VERY LUCKY. My whole family is plagued by ear problems. Ear infections, wax clogging, punctured ear drums. Yep, my dad, in all his wisdom, actually punctured my brother's ear drum once by spraying water in there to get out some wax. Don't look at me. It wasn't my idea. Anyway, my brother later had to get surgery to repair his eardrum and none us us ever trusted our dad to come near our ears again. That said, I am very protective of my ears. So at the pool I make sure not to swim too deep so the pressure won't be too strong for my poor ears to take. Also, I don't do any crazy moves in the water such as somersaults or handstands, to minimize the chance that I might get water stuck in my ear. I am seriously thinking of investing in some good ear plugs, nose plugs, and goggles so that if I didn't already look like a huge dork in the water, I will for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment