Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It Can't Hurt

Mike and I went bike riding again last night and I have to say it is addicting. Even when your butt still hurts from the last time you road, you still want to go again. We only planned on going a short distance, but ended up going farther. I think this is because when you are on a bike you see so many things that you don't see in a car. It is like seeing everything for the first time. It's better than walking because it is much faster and you feel like you are actually getting somewhere. The only complaint I have about bike riding is that modern areas are not very biker-friendly. I am talking about big roads, freeways, and the like. Society is designed more and more towards cars and not bikes or pedestrians. So it goes, I guess. Luckily, I have a good river-walk/bike path close to my house.

I have gotten two flat tires since beginning bike riding and replaced both of them with tires that are guaranteed never to go flat. We will see. The only thing I still need for bike riding is a helmet. I never used to to even think about a helmet, but the older I get the more I realize how unpredictable life can be. Not wearing a helmet because you have never gotten hurt is like not using a condom because you have never gotten anyone pregnant before. (Yes, some has actually said this to me.) Besides, most other bike riders I see are wearing helmets now. I don't know if it is because people are being smarter or because we live in a over-protected society. Either way, I figure it can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment