Saturday, September 3, 2011

Machinehead

When I think about how many machines most people use on a daily basis I am surprised at how common they have become. I feel like a pretty self-sufficient person, but when I consider all the machines that help me do daily tasks, I am blown away by how much I rely on them. I use all these machines either directly or indirectly -

Car
Microwave
Computer
Cash Register/Computer
Washing Machine
Dryer
Cell Phone
Refrigerator
Television
Factory Machines
Airplanes
Lawn Mower
I-Pod
Electric Tools
Blow Dryer
Straight Iron
Iron
Radio

You get the idea. The list could be much longer. I don't mind that we have so many great machines that enhance the quality of our lives. What I do mind is the fact that machines are getting more complex while people's understanding of them is getting more limited. Do you know how how to build a television? Could you make a computer.........from scratch?! Can you even begin to comprehend how your cell phone works? What I'm getting at is, what good is all this technology if we don't know how it works and we can't fix it when it breaks? We get so used to using all these machines, so when they stop working, we don't know what to do without them. For example, if the power goes out at the grocery store, the grocery store shuts down. Why? Because they can't sell anything when they don't have their fancy cash resisters to scan every item and add it up. What happened to the days when the clerk at the store used MATH to add up what you were buying? Do we really need modern cash registers? If you say yes then you best be learning how to fix one.

Even if we use machines, I don't think we need to always make them as complex as they are. Consider cars. When they were first invented they were little more than a motor with a seat and wheels. These days cars have all kinds of complex systems controlled by a computer. While this technology can be helpful and even amazing, if it breaks it is infinitely harder to fix than the older machines. Is it that hard to go without something like power windows if it means less worry and maintenance? Why do people need gas-powered lawn mowers when rotating blades on wheels work just fine? I use machines as much as the next person, but I think there is a point when enough is enough with newer and more complex gadgets, because if we rely to much on machines, we will have no idea what to do if they all stop working one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment