Monday, September 12, 2011

Sin Does Not Mean Evil

Bet you were wondering where I have been. Why haven't I been writing? Well, I just didn't feel like it. I don't have a good excuse at all and I figure everyone is sick of me apologizing for not writing often. So I'm letting you know now that you get what you get with this blog. I'm not always in a writing mood and I've decided there is no reason to stress about a blog. I realize I have complained in the past about other bloggers not keeping up with their blogs, but I'm over that because I now think a stress-free life is way more important than any blog. Writing should be about de-stressing. It shouldn't cause stress. So to all you bloggers out there - Blog as much or as little as you like! (I'm sure everyone was waiting for my permission to do that.) Anyway, onward to the topic of this post.

Evil. Does it exist? I think it does, but far less often than most people think. Most people think people who commit horrible crimes are all evil, but I beg to differ. I would say truly evil people are few and far between. I think people who commit crimes are usually victims themselves of bad circumstances. Being a victim doesn't justify committing a crime. It just means that the person commits the crime because they are hurt, scared, or angry. Not because they are evil. Of course if you are a victim of a crime, it doesn't usually make you feel better to think that the person who committed the crime is not evil. You still feel hurt, sad, or angry. But notice those are similar to the feelings I wrote to describe the person committing the crime. So we have something in common, and I think that allows for empathy and forgiveness toward the criminal.

Maybe I just tend to see the good in people, but I don't see most criminals as monsters who have no soul and no feelings. I see them as imperfect humans who are damaged in some way and who made bad choices. Can anyone of us 'non-criminals' claim to have never made a bad choice?

No comments:

Post a Comment