Friday, November 19, 2010

Don't Worry, Be Happy

As the weather gets colder and the days get shorter, many people start to get a little depressed. Depression that comes during different seasons (most often winter) is an actual disorder called Seasonal affective disorder (SAD). The fact that I think it is funny that the acronym spells "SAD" should be proof enough that I am not depressed at the moment. Yet, I am not ignorant of how dangerous depression can be. It can make your life a living hell, and I feel lucky to have only experienced it to a small degree in my life. I say "a small degree" because I have never been depressed enough to consider suicide, and I have never felt like I needed therapy or medication. I have learned quite a bit about depression in my 29 years, and I know what to do when I start to feel a little down. First of all, you have to stay active and not isolate yourself. Exercise is great for banishing depression, as is being around people who love and support you. Sometimes just getting out of bed when all you want to do is lay there is enough to jump-start your happiness. Writing and music are also very effective at fighting depression. When I feel down, I can listen to a song or write in my journal and feel much better, if not 100 percent better, afterwards. Being in the sunlight is another thing that can help with depression. It may sound silly, but lack of sunlight is one of the reasons people get more depressed in the winter.

Although I am pretty good at controlling my occasional depression, I know there are many people out there who need medication to help with depression. While I don't have anything against the people who do use medication, I personally hope to never have to use it. I just believe a lot can go wrong when you start messing with the mind. Side effects can sometimes be almost as bad, if not worse, than the actual disease and I think many people jump to medication as a "quick fix" too soon. For me, medication is a very very very last resort. It is for when I feel like I can't endure another second of my life, and for people who feel that way, I say 'go for it' if medication makes you feel like you have a life again. I will deal with depression when it comes, but for now I am always hoping for a deliriously happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment