Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Discovery of Music

The holiday season is here, which means more time at work for me and less blog for you. It's not that I don't want to blog, but by the end of a long day, I usually don't have much brainpower left to think of something to write. So bare with me as I try to navigate this holiday season without going insane.

As a child, I really didn't know of any kind of music other than classical, musicals, or Disney music. That was all we listened to in my family. On long family car rides we would listen to things like "Cats" or "Phantom of the Opera" or "Beauty and the Beast". I don't have any regrets being raised this way other than I wish I could have been a little more informed as to the existence of other music styles. When my friends would talk about "New Kids on the Block", I literally had no idea what they were talking about. I just thought maybe there were some new kids living on our block.

By my early teen years I finally began to discover other music styles. C.D.s were just coming out at that time and my older brother would let me borrow his C.D.s like The Fresh Prince, Weird Al, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. That last one is what really got me hooked on different music styles. Once I heard "Under the Bridge" there was no going back, and it is still my favorite song to this day.

Today I am proud to say I am a lover of all musical styles. There is no kind of music I won't try and very few I really dislike. I have written before about disliking modern music, and that is true only because I feel there is no real meaning or passion behind most of it. It is just created to make money and show off. I love music that can tug on your emotions or that amazes me with its complexities. There is already so much amazing music out there that it wouldn't bother me if no new music was ever written again. I could listen to what there already is for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment