Monday, October 3, 2011

Road To Nowhere

Today I am blogging from the laptop because the desktop went KUPUT. It is not fixed yet not because of lack of effort from Mike (his only obsession when the computer breaks is to fix it), but because of lack of money for new parts. No worries. I'm sure it will be as good as new on payday. Until then, I am stuck with the laptop. Not that I'm not grateful to have a working computer. I just don't like it as much as the desktop. It doesn't have all my programs and files right where I want them. I don't know how to print with it, and the finger pad thing that takes the place of the mouse is annoying. Maybe it will improve my dexterity, though. I read in a magazine that if you regularly do things that are a little more difficult for you, like brushing your teeth with the hand you don't normally use, then it improves your overall willpower. I guess there is something to be said for stubborn determination after all. I sure hope this mouse-pad thing is improving my willpower.

The latest book that I read is called The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It is a Pulitzer Prize winner, so I had high hopes for it. I even kept my hopes high through 90% of it. But the closer I got to the end, the more I realized this book is going nowhere. Literally, there is no closure at all in this book, unless you call death closure. To the author's credit, it is written beautifully, and the story is very intriguing at first. But after a certain point you start to see that the same things are happening over and over with no new results. It's pretty depressing. The only way to feel better about this book is to hope that something good happened after the end of the book. In other words, MAKE YOUR OWN HAPPY ENDING. If I wanted to do that I would write my own book. You might like this book if you are the sort of person who likes poetry, because this book is all about fancy language. But if you want a good old straight-forward story with a beginning, middle, and end, you will be sorely disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment