Friday, October 7, 2011

Listening Through The Noise

Cold weather has descended on my community rather quickly this year. Only a few days ago it was 80-plus degrees, and today the heater is running almost constantly and I am trying to keep from freezing to death. Even though my heater is working, I think my body was unprepared for the sudden cold, and every few minutes I am considering a hot bath or shower just to warm up. I guess blankets or more clothing might work also, but for some reason nothing warms me up like water. If my hands get really cold, sometimes I will just wash them in hot water, and sometimes that turns into less washing and more hanging my hands in the water and sighing in complete bliss.

As much as I love having a working heater, I do not love how noisy it is. I don't know if it's because my house is so small or because my heater just wants to be heard, but living with that thing is like living in a power plant........generating power from a raging waterfall. When it's running I feel like I can hardly hear myself think. If I want to watch t.v. or listen to music I have to turn the volume up really loud. The neighbors probably think I am quickly going deaf. I don't always need complete silence, but for some reason constant noise bothers me. I am a person who likes to listen for things, and when there is noise, it gets in the way of hearing quieter noises. What I am listening for, I couldn't tell you, but when I can't hear I feel slightly uncomfortable. The best way I can describe it is if you suddenly went deaf. You would be a little freaked out that you couldn't hear anything, right? I feel the same way when there is loud, constant noise. Even the noise of the vacuum cleaner, the shower, or music played through my headphones makes me feel the same way. (By the way, the shower noise is probably the only reason I don't live in there during the colder months.) Is that weird? Anyway, like being deaf, I can get used to background noise, but that doesn't mean I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment