Saturday, October 15, 2011

Feeling Colorful

"I mean that there’s got to be a lightness in your way. There has to be a lightness; you have to be as light as you can be and not get weighed down and stuck in your emotion, stuck in your body, stuck in your head. You just want to always be trying to elevate somehow."

That's a quote from Bill Murray that I ran across on the internet recently. I really like it because I think he is trying to tell people how to stay upbeat and positive even when life gets hard. Don't get stuck in your head with your negative emotions. Try to find a way to get above all that. Interesting...... I am always looking for ways to stay positive, especially during this time of year when the weather can be summarized as 'dark and cold'. My life is pretty good, so staying positive isn't too hard. But when I do feel low, it's nice to be reminded by a quote like this that it is impossible to be happy when you let negative thoughts overrun your mind and weigh you down. You have to make an effort to stay light. Also notice he says 'have to', not 'should' or 'try'. It is imperative to our health and well-being to make this effort to stay happy.

Another thing a came across on the internet was this story by Dr. Seuss that someone posted on their blog -

My Many Colored Days.. By Dr. Seuss

Some days are yellow.
Some are blue.
On different days I'm different too.
You'd be surprised how many ways
I change on Different Colored Days.

On Bright Red Days how good it feels
to be a horse and kick my heels!

On other days I'm other things.
On Bright Blue Days I flap my wings.

Some days, of course, feel sort of Brown.
Then I feel slow and low, low down.

Then comes a Yellow Day and Wheeee!
I am a busy, buzzy bee.

Gray Day....Everything is gray.
I watch. But nothing moves today.

Then all of a sudden I'm a circus seal!
On my Orange Days that's how I feel.

Green Days. Deep deep in the sea.
Cool and quiet fish. That's me.

On Purple Days I'm sad. I groan.
I drag my tail. I walk alone.

But when my days are Happy Pink
it's great to jump and just not think.

Then come my Black Days. MAD. And loud.
I howl. I growl at every cloud.

Then comes a Mixed-Up Day. And WHAM!
I don't know who or what I am!

But it all turns out all right, you see.
And I go back to being...me.

I love this story for it's simplicity and acceptance of emotions in all forms. There's no judgment as to which emotions are right or wrong. It makes it OK to have all these emotions and then 'go back to being me'. I also love that 'it all turns out all right', because emotions can be scary, but this story helps you understand that feeling lots of emotions is not the end of the world and it doesn't make you a bad person. You are just colorful!

No comments:

Post a Comment