Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pretty But Deadly

It was the 4th of July recently and as much as I love this country, I don't always like how people celebrate our independence. Fireworks are all good, but I do have a couple of problems with them. For one thing, I think fireworks should only be allowed on one day - the 4th of July. In my neighborhood, some people were setting off fireworks well into the night for days before and after the 4th. I get that they want to celebrate, but it gets old really fast when you are trying to sleep and all you hear are dozens of explosions. There is really no need to celebrate more than one day. I think some people just like to blow things up and they are not celebrating anything at all. In that case it's selfish and rude to be bothering neighbors at night.

Another thing I don't like about fireworks is the pollution they produce. I once heard that fireworks on the 4th put a huge amount of pollution into the air. Doesn't it seem odd that we celebrate our freedom by destroying our air? I'm not saying we should ban fireworks altogether, but maybe cities could have a limit on how many they set off. Or maybe cities that are near each other could take turns doing firework displays ever other year. Once again it comes down to moderation, something Americans seems to incapable of. I'm sure nothing will be done about firework pollution until the situation is dire. Oh well. At least we have an excess of pretty explosions to make up for our poor air quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment