Friday, July 15, 2011

Hillbilly Life

As much as I have love for all people, rich or poor, there is just something about the poorer ones that seems more fun and interesting. When I drive through expensive neighborhoods, I think, "I would never want to live here." What?! There's someone who wouldn't want to live in a huge house with a perfect yard, twenty cars, a boat, a trailer, ATVs, and all those other "grownup toys"? Yes, you are reading her blog. Rich neighborhoods look so boring to me that I would never live there even if I was rich. Those neighborhoods where all the houses look the same and there are no kids playing outside look like a prison to me. I have nothing against anyone who lives in one of those places. If that's what you like, go for it. It might even be more fun than it looks. But all a can picture when I look at those houses is depressing white rooms and family members huddled away in different parts of the house using electronic devices like t.v., computer, cell phones, or video games. I can't picture the family interaction. I can't picture something being dirty or imperfect. I can't picture fun or relaxation that has nothing to do with electronic devices. That kind of life, where you feel so pressured to be perfect and look perfect is the same as hell to me.

In contrast to the rich neighborhoods, when you drive through a lower-class neighborhood, you see a lot more life. You see kids playing in the sprinklers and getting dirty. You see adults relaxing and chatting in the front yards. You see pets that look less like show dogs and more rough around the edges. You see lawns that have a few too many weeds or dry patches. You see LIFE. I would much rather be in a place like that than in a house where there is nothing to do because the maid and the gardener already came and you either don't have to work because you are so rich or you have to work constantly to keep up with paying for everything you own. The poorer people know how to have fun and connect with others, and it has nothing to do with motor homes or private swimming pools.

When people use the the terms "white trash" or "hillbilly", I don't see that that as a negative. Those people may be less educated or less refined, but, all the same, I think they are exceptionally caring, kind, fun, interesting, and real. Call me crazy, but I think I would rather hang out at a backyard BBQ with the lower class than a fancy party at the mansion on the hill. All people are special in my eyes, but when you become too rich and formal, I think you loose a little bit of what it means to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment