Monday, July 11, 2011

The Myth Of Perfection

I wrote a little bit about perfection in my last post, but I wanted to expand on that idea some more. Perfection, in my opinion, doesn't exist, at least not on earth. God is the only thing that could be perfect, but that is a whole other discussion. What I'm trying to say is, perfection, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. The perfect day for one person is not always the same as the perfect day for another person. Measurements may seem perfect if you do them right, but there is always room for error even if it is minuscule. You could get a perfect score on a test, but tests themselves are imperfect, therefore making your score imperfect.

It is, of course, important to strive to do well in whatever you do. But perfection is something that can never be reached and will only let you down when you can't reach it. I don't even use the word perfect much at all. It is a pointless word to me unless you are talking about God, and I don't talk about God that often. I laugh to myself when I hear little kids saying they want to be perfect. If only they knew how impossible that is. I can't blame the child, though. The child only tries to do what the parent wants. It's the parents who never learned that perfection is a myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment