Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Newer But Not Better

It's no secret that I wear make-up most days. One of my favorite brands of make-up throughout the years has been Cover Girl. I probably only started using it because that's what my mom used, and since I didn't know anything about make-up in my youth, I just followed her example. I have stuck with Cover Girl.......until now. I have a problem with how often they are changing their products. It didn't use to be so bad, but in the last few years their whole collection seems to change every few months. Now I know it is hard for the guys out there to understand why this is so upsetting for a girl, so let me give an analogy. Imagine that you have a game that you really love (card game, video game, board game, whatever). Now imagine that you buy that game and all the accessories and you play it all the time with your friends. You play the game for years and become very familiar with it. Then, one day, you need to buy a replacement game because the one you had got destroyed somehow. But when you go to the store to get it, they don't have it. What they do have is something similar, but not the same. The graphics/pictures have changed and even the rules have changed. It's just not the same and not as fun as the old game. That's how girls feel about their make-up, except that it runs out instead of getting destroyed, so you have to always buy more.

I know companies have to keep up with the latest trends to be competitive, but the speed with which things change these days is just mind-blowing to me. "Newer" is not always "better". In fact, I have found that newer is almost always inferior to the older. Things are not well-made anymore. They are cheap, and poor quality, and they break almost as soon as you get them. I know my voice doesn't count for much, but if it did I would tell companies that quality matters more than quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment