Friday, January 7, 2011

Can I See Your House?

I wasn't sure if I was in the mood to blog today, but it was between that and cleaning the bathroom. The bathroom can wait.

Architecture has always been something that has interested me. I love looking at houses and decorating them. I don't mind all the new, pretty, houses out there, but what I really love are the old houses. The houses that have character. The houses that are different. It just seems like so much more care and craftsmanship went into older homes. Today homes are all cheaply made and so similar that they are boring to look at. Of course any house is a good house as long as you have a place to live, but there is something to be said for a beautiful home and quality work. Even not-so-beautiful homes interest me because I like to look for the potential in them or even just take a peek at how other people live. Sadly, I don't get many opportunities to walk right into a stranger's home. That seems to be frowned upon. So I guess I either need to wait for a Parade of Homes, or make friends with lots and lots of people.

I think some of my love of architecture and building came from my dad. He is a Jack of all trades, so to speak. He can fix or build almost anything, and I spent many Saturdays helping him work on the house. When I wasn't helping my dad, I was probably the only pre-teen in the world religiously watching shows like This Old House and The New Yankee Workshop. My dream is to someday own a house of my own so I can play mad scientist and experiment on it. "Dr. Robin" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment